Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web

You are here:   Divisions > ByLaw > ByLaw FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions / Recently Enacted Bylaws


  1. Are Fire Pits permissible in the City?

    "Yes, you will find the provisions for fire pits in Bylaw No. 22 of 2008, The Fire and Emergency Services Bylaw. Provided your fire pit is constructed of acceptable materials and is located in a safe location away from your house or combustible materials they are permissible. Only seasoned cut fire wood is permissible, the burning of rubbish, garden materials and other such materials is prohibited."
  2. Are there designated snowmobile routes in the City?

    "No, snowmobiles and ATV's are prohibited anywhere within the Corporate limits of the City. There had been a designated snowmobile route along the south-east perimeter of the City which was in operation from 1996 through 2005. This route no longer exists. Bylaw No. 11 of 2007, The Prohibition of Motor Vehicles in Public Places Bylaw, prohibits their operation within the City. Those found in violation are subject to a $150.00 fine and the seizure of the vehicle being operated."
  3. Is panhandling in the City legal?

    "Yes, it is legal throughout Canada provided it is "passive" in nature. When it becomes coercive, intimidating, threatening, or obstructive in nature, it becomes an offence. Bylaw No. 8 of 2007, The Obstructive Solicitation Bylaw, prohibits panhandling that exceeds the threshold of "passive".  Police and Bylaw Officers may issue a fine of $150.00, which in most cases would result in the fine option program."
  4.  What is the law in the City respecting fighting?

    "Fighting is defined as a "Disturbance" in the Criminal Code of Canada and the police will arrest those they find actively engaged in this activity. In cases of consensual fighting in public places in the City, not only are those involved liable for the criminal consequences, they will be subject to a $580.00 fine pursuant to the provisions of Bylaw No. 6 of 2007, The Fighting Bylaw."
  5. What is the law in the City when someone spits or urinates publicly?

    "Spitting, urinating, or defecating publicly within the City is an offence pursuit to Bylaw No. 7 of 2007, The Public Spitting, Urination and Defecation Prohibition Bylaw, or commonly referred to as "The Bodily Fluids Bylaw". Those found in violation are subject to a $150.00 fine and are often arrested for public intoxication."
  6.  When is the Noise Bylaw in effect?

    "24 hours per day - citizens are not to permit or cause any noise that unreasonably disturbs the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of persons in the neighborhood or vicinity. This includes dogs barking or cats caterwauling. The operation of lawn mowers, leaf blowers, snow blowers and similar devises are prohibited between the hours of 11:00 PM and 6:00 AM, as are construction noises. Diesel motors within residential districts are restricted to 20 minutes of idling. City Works operations are exempted from the Bylaw.   Pursuant to Bylaw No. 7 of 2003, The Noise Bylaw, those found in violation are subject to a Summary Offence Ticket in the amount of $360.00 or, dependant on the circumstances, may be fined as much as $2,000.00 if convicted by a Provincial Court Judge."
  7. What is the law respecting Graffiti in the City?

    "Graffiti is spoken to in the Property Amenities Bylaw, Bylaw No. 14 of 2007. Property owners are not to permit graffiti to remain on any building, accessory building, fence or any other structure. Bylaw Officers may cite property owners to have the Graffiti removed pursuant to this Bylaw, however, citizens that have the unfortunate experience of discovering graffiti on their property are victims of a criminal offence and certainly would never be prosecuted for non-compliance. We encourage citizens to remove the graffiti as soon as practical as studies suggest if it is removed with 24 hours there is a 10% chance of reoccurrence as apposed to two weeks where there is 100% chance of reoccurrence. We work cooperatively with citizens in the removal of graffiti and citizens may get assistance with this through the Community Services Department @ 953-4804."
  8. Who do I call if I discover a skunk on my property?

    "A pest control contractor. Bylaw Officers deal strictly with domestic animals within the City. Wildlife, such as coyotes, bears, birds of prey, upland game birds and federally protected migratory birds fall under the domain of the Environment Ministry @ 953-2322 or after hours @ 1-800-667-7561. Skunks, badgers, porcupines, raccoons, beavers, muskrats, bees, hornets, rats, gophers, mice, rabbits, snakes, shrews, bats, crows, magpies, pigeons and injured animals and birds fall under the domain of a pest control contractor. Dead animals and birds can simply be disposed of or picked up by City Works should they be lying on City streets. Crows and Magpies are no longer tested for West Nile Virus. Animal Welfare concerns can be directed to the SPCA @ 763-6110."
  9. What is the law respecting littering in the City?

    "Provincial legislation, The Litter Control Act, governs littering within the City and those found in violation are liable for a fine through the issuance of a Summary Offence ticket by police or Bylaw Officers as high as $1,400.00. Dependant on the circumstance of the offence, those convicted will receive a fine from a Provincial Court Judge of not less the $200.00. The accumulation of litter on private properties is spoken to in the Property Amenities Bylaw, Bylaw No. Bylaw No. 14 of 2007.   Controlling litter within the City is really about community pride and ownership and we encourage all citizens to do their part in keeping our City clean."
  10. What can I do about my neighbor's dog … cat … noise from partying at late hours … leaving waste disposal bins out on the street … shoveling snow onto the City street … unsightly yard, etc?

    "The first question you'll be asked from a Bylaw Officer is: Have you spoken with your neighbor regarding the issue? We encourage all citizens to first and foremost speak with their neighbors and develop good rapport which pays obvious dividends on what in many cases is years of living in the same residential area. Often times, invoking the police or Bylaw Officers to deal with minor neighborhood issues will create more difficulties on the long term than it resolves. Many of these issues are often resolved amongst neighboring citizens through effective communication and diplomacy. The unfortunate effect in many cases when the police or Bylaw Officers are the first response to the issue, prior to making attempts to deal with the issues amongst neighbors, is the animosity it can create between neighbors that may last indefinitely until somebody moves. We respect citizen requests to remain anonymous; unfortunately many neighborhood issues reported for investigation will reveal the identity of the complainant through those citizens being complained about determining this through the obvious process of elimination.  

    Having said that, we realize these situations are not always resolved through diplomacy and we are at your service to assist. Our approach will be a warning in regards to animal license's, noise bylaw, waste disposal bins and shoveling snow onto the City streets or sidewalks.  If there is a dog/cat at large, warnings are not provided as citizens of Prince Albert should have all animals on a leash if the animal is off their private property.   Often times if the occupant of the residence where the issue exists is not home to be immediately spoken with, a door hanger will be left by Bylaw Enforcement Officers advising of our attendance and what Bylaw infraction is alleged to exist. The occupant may be asked to rectify the situation by a specific time and date and will be asked to call Bylaw Enforcement should any further information be required. Should warning not resolve the issue, prosecution is the next step.   In many circumstances, this will involve obtaining a statement from you respecting dates and times of occurrences and their effect which may ultimately require your appearance in court to testify."
  11. What are the rules respecting Garage Sales and signage?

    "Rules respecting Garage/Yard Sales are found in the Zoning Bylaw, Bylaw No. 1 of 1987. The general rules are as follows:

    • Sale must be conducted by the resident of the dwelling in a Residential or Institutional zone, or
    • A non-profit group associated with a place of worship, public school, community association or similar group or organization.
    • No more than three (3) sales may be conducted on any site in any one calendar year and no sale may last more than three (3) consecutive days.
    • Signs respecting garage/yard sales may not be placed or posted on public property, public highways, or any building, equipment, or utility structure within public property unless authorized by Council. This includes boulevards, curb-side trees, street light standards, public signage, public mail boxes, and intersections.

    The Bylaw Enforcement Unit continues to receive an abundance of complaints respecting garage/yard sale signage during the spring and summer months. Citizens can anticipate prosecution of repeat offenders."
  12. What are the rules in the City respecting election signage?

    "During election periods, Municipal, Provincial or Federal, and subject to the provisions of any Provincial or Federal Statute, order or regulation, election signage within the City is governed by the Zoning Bylaw, Bylaw No. 1 of 1987. Key points as follows:

    • Maximum Size - 3.2 square meters, (commonly gauged as slightly larger than a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood).
    • No sign permit is required for election signs.
    • All signs must be removed within seven (7) days after the election.
    • Signs shall not be placed on a corner site within the "corner visibility triangle" (located away from intersections or boulevard crossings to protect from blocking the view for drivers).
    • Signs shall be built of quality construction.
    • The owners of signs assume full responsibility for the maintenance, liability, claims, actions, loss, damages, judgments, costs and expenses which may accrue or be suffered by any person by reason of, or arising out of, the erection, installation, suspension or alteration and maintenance and use of the signs.
    • The sign shall have the words "Authorized by" affixed.
    • Election signs can be placed on public property provided they do not in any way impede, impair, disrupt, or disturb traffic, both pedestrian and/or vehicular. The sign(s) may not in its placement cause any manner of visual impairment or obstruction that may be considered a safety hazard or contribution of Urban Blight.
    • Signs found to be in violation are subject to seizure by the City and held for a 10-day period wherein the owner may attend City Hall for its return. After 10 days the sign will be destroyed.
    • The City recognizes that individual property owners are deemed responsible for the care of City owned boulevards immediately abutting their property. The City entrusts the property owner to remove any election signage from the portion of boulevard abutting the frontage of their property.

    For further information please contact The City of Prince Albert Economic Development and Planning Department @ 953-4370.
  13.  What are the rules respecting Snow Routes within the City?

    "Citizens should familiarize themselves with the City's new snow routes as identified in the Traffic Bylaw, Bylaw No. 16 of 2005, @ Schedule 74. In an effort to expedite the opening of the City's arterial streets for the mobility of the general public and emergency service providers after significant snow events, the City introduced snow routes in 2008 to our citizens on a voluntary compliance basis.   In March of 2009, compliance to parking along snow routes became law pursuant to section 74 d) of the Traffic Bylaw. Key points as follows:

    • The Director of Public Works will declare snow routes in effect after major snow events. The declaration will be issued through media release. Once declared, snow routes will remain in effect for seventy-two (72) hours unless sooner terminated or extended by further declaration.
    • During periods of declaration, person(s) shall not park or stop a vehicle, or permit a vehicle to be parked or stopped on any street or portion of any street identified as a snow route in Schedule 74. Citizens can view Schedule 74 by clicking on the Municipal Bylaw link where it is located within the Traffic Bylaw.

    Those found in violation are subject to prosecution and/or vehicle seizure."
  14. What are the rules respecting the City's roll-out recycle and waste collection bins?

    "The City's Waste Collection and Disposal Bylaw, Bylaw No. 5 of 2011, governs the use of these bins. The following are key points of non-compliance commonly investigated by Bylaw Officers:

    • The depositing of wastes or recyclables originating from outside an automated collection area.
    • Person(s) other than owners or occupants depositing wastes or recyclables into these containers.
    • Keeping the container on the property until after 6:00 PM the day preceding collection day.
    • Non-compliance to: Before 7:30 AM on collection days, place the container at the curb adjoining the property.
    • Non-compliance to: Prior to 6:00 PM of the day following collection day, remove the container and uncollected waste from the curb and store them on the property.

    We remind citizens to be respectful of the Bylaw governing the use of these bins thereby reducing the number of complaints of non-compliance affording Bylaw Officers to spend more time on priority issues. Any person who contravenes the Bylaw is liable to a fine:  first offence of $150.00, second offence $260.00.  Repeat offenders may face prosecution. For further information respecting waste and recyclable collection, please contact the Department of Public Works @ 953-4900.




Further information respecting Bylaw issues within the City can be obtained by calling the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit office at 953-4906.

After a quick Q&A between the two athletes, there was a fun rolex replica competition (if you can call it that) on the green where Matt and Justin took to each other in trying to sink rolex replica putts for Justin Rose' charity. All in all, Justin Rose took $10,000 courtesy of Hublot, for his Kate and Justin Rose Foundation, whose mission is "Feeding Hungry Tummies and Curious Minds." While rolex replica the event was certainly highly scripted, what was not and felt genuine was Justin's candid and kind demeanor. Also, both Matt and Justin Rose replica watches uk seemed to be genuinely passionate fans of the brand while sporting their Hublot watches with pride and replica watches affection. I got a chance to talk to each of them, and although the conversation was short, it became clear to me that Justin Rose had personally rolex replica acquired his watch as a present to commemorate his win in Dubai and rolex replica sale that was when he discovered the brand, actually before Hublot approached him.