Find A Unit

ByLaw Unit

  • ByLaw

    The Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit has the first line responsibility for the investigation and enforcement of The City of Prince Albert Bylaws and various related Provincial Statutes.  The Provincial Statutes currently enforced by the Unit include: The Cities Act, Division 4 and Division 5; The Traffic Safety Act; The Litter Control Act: The Alcohol and Gaming Regulation Act, 1997; The Noxious Weeds Act; and The Summary Offences Procedure Act.

    With the creation of this new Unit in the fall of 2006, citizens have now enjoyed the ability to lodge complaints relative to civic Bylaws 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, through the Police non-emergency line @ 953-4222 ext 2.  Bylaw Special Constables now augment each of the Service's four (4) Patrol Platoons in responding to Bylaw specific complaints and following up on them with the appropriate investigative measures.  Their services are available on most days 7:00 AM through 12:20 AM.  Identical to the regular members of the Service, Bylaw personnel are dispatched through the communications center; utilizing the same technology in computer aided dispatch and in-car laptops.  Citizens may now have become accustomed to Bylaw Special Constables, Community Safety Officer (sworn members of the Service), patrolling the City's streets and recognize their distinctive "blue" accented uniform, from the familiar "red" of municipal police in Saskatchewan.

    Municipal Bylaw Enforcement is about drilling down into the root causes of crime and taking care of the neighborhood amenity issues that ultimately reduce crime and provide a level of safety and comfort to the community.    

    The Unit consists of five full-time members, including one Supervisor.

    • Housing/Property Standards
    • Streets

    The Supervisor, (Bylaw Manager), of the Unit is responsible for the development of policies and procedures, training, scheduling of manpower, recruiting, assigning of duties, supervision of Unit members.   The Bylaw Manager is a member of the Police Service's Administrative Team and reports/liaises regularly through the Chief of Police to the Board of Police Commissioners, City Council and senior civic administration on Bylaw related issues within the City.

  • Dogs & Cats At Large

    Bylaw No. 26 of 2018, (The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw), of The City of Prince Albert prohibits any dog or cat from being at large. Every dog or cat while off the property of the Owner, or person having responsibility for the dog or cat, must be securely restrained by a leash held by a person capable of properly restraining the dog. In addition to impoundment fees of $50.00 plus $15.00 per day for care and sustenance for a dog or cat that is found to be at large, the dog/cat owner could also face fines ranging from $75.00 to $275.00.  If required, euthanization fees can also be incurred.

    Irresponsible pet ownership continues to be of concern within the City, predominately with domestic animals running at large and non-compliance to licensing.  Animal control complaints account for approximately 50% of the Unit's calls and are consuming valuable time that our officers need to be spending on higher priority issues.  The concerns compound as our SPCA has difficulty managing the volumes of dogs/cats impounded from running at large on city streets.  The non-compliance to licensing, (of which 90% of those fees are channeled back to the SPCA), is negatively impacting this non-profit valuable community organization that provides vital services to the overall animal control management model within the city.

    We encourage all citizens of the city to do their part and take responsibility for your pets and ensure they are licensed and not running "at large".  When a dog or cat is at large it may not only cause a safety concern to the public, but it also stands a chance of being lost, hit by a car, becoming ill because of eating garbage or other products not meant for domestic animals, or being injured by another domestic or wild animal.

    There are many good reasons to license your pet as licensing fees sustain the SPCA in:

    • Feeding and sheltering animals in a veterinarian inspected facility.
    • Providing of emergency medical care.
    • Operation of "Adopt-A-Pet" programs.
    • Education - Responsible pet ownership.
    • Helping neighbors resolve pet-related problems.
    • The safe return of your pet when it is identifiable to Bylaw Officers.
    • "Peace of Mind" - an insurance policy on your pet
    • And perhaps most importantly, knowing your licensing fees are sustaining a valuable community resource, lessening the burden on our City tax dollars.

    Here are seven steps of responsible pet ownership that will allow your pet to live a long and healthy life.


    1. License your dog and/or cat.  Licenses can be purchased at City Hall or the SPCA.  Provide accurate and up-to-date information about your family pet. If you move, advise City Hall or the SPCA immediately.  Failing to license your dog or affix tag while dog is off premises results in fines ranging from $75.00 to $275.00.
    2. Neuter or spay your dog and/or cat. Effective June 01, 2018, dogs and/or cats spayed or neutered; the licensing fee is $25.00. Dogs and/or cats not spayed or neutered; the licensing fee jumps to $75.00.  
    3. Vaccinate annually against rabies and other diseases.
    4. Keep your dog on a leash.
    5. Train your dog early not to bark excessively.  Bylaw of 2016, The Noise Bylaw, provides for a $360.00 fine for dogs barking excessively.
    6. Train your dog to be obedient.
    7. Clean up after your pet.  Owners' not removing dog or cat defecation on any public or private property other than the property of its owner face fines ranging from $75.00 to $275.00.

    The City of Prince Albert has a designated area where dogs may be exercised while not restrained by a leash. A Map of this area is available by viewing Schedule No. 2 of The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, Bylaw No. 26 of 2018.

    If you have picked up a street animal please contact SPCA at 306-981-6115.

    Further information about The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw may be obtained by calling the SPCA at (306)981-6115.


  • Cats & Cat Traps

    Cats in the City of Prince Albert must be licensed.

    The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, Bylaw No. 26 of 2018, states that cats are not allowed to "run at large" in the City.

    We strongly recommend keeping cats indoors because they live longer, healthier and safer lives.  The average life span of an indoor cat is 12 to 15 years compared to 2 to 5 years for an outdoor cat.  This difference is due to the dangers cats face outdoors such as traffic, unfriendly animals, poisons, diseases, frostbite, dehydration and abuse from humans. 

    In Prince Albert, the bylaw states that cats must not be "at large," this means that they must be confined to their owner's property. The easiest way to comply with the Bylaw is to keep cats indoors.

    Keeping cats indoors also eliminates problems incurred when cats roam onto neighbouring property.  Often annoying cat behaviors such as digging, meowing, mating or spraying cause neighborhood disputes.

    Despite popular belief, cats don't need to go outdoors.  Indoor cats can live fulfilled and happy lives without going outside.

    Cats, unlike dogs, are very elusive in nature and are difficult to apprehend.  Should you be experiencing unwanted cats on your property the most effective and humane way of dealing with the problem is to attend the SPCA and obtain a cat trap. Rental for a cat trap is $5/day. You have a responsibility to monitor the trap frequently as to prevent any undue stress to the animal.  Should you know the identity of the offending cat's owner Bylaw Officers will investigate with a view of correcting the problem through warning or prosecution.

    There is nothing prohibiting private citizens from using a private cat trap as long as it is being done in a humane manner. Any cat caught must be immediately taken to the SPCA located at 1125 North Industrial Drive, turned over to a Bylaw Enforcement Officer, or returned to the owner.

    Persons using private traps should be aware that if the trap causes an animal any harm, they could be held liable under The Animal Protection Act, 1999 and/or the Criminal Code.

    Any one having questions related to Cats or the use of traps can contact the SPCA at (306)981-6115.

  • Property Unsightliness

    Bylaw No. 18 of 2016, The Property Amenities Bylaw, is administered and enforced by the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit and can consume as high as 50% of our Bylaw Community Safety Officers time in investigations.

    Unsightly property is property that, in the opinion of a Bylaw Enforcement Community Safety Officer, is detrimental to the surrounding area because of its unsightly condition or is determined to be a nuisance, which means a condition of a property; a thing; or an activity that effects the amenity of a neighborhood or the safety, health and welfare of people in the neighborhood, and includes:  

    • Overgrown grass and weeds.
    • Vegetation that interferes with the use or visibility of street signage, sidewalks, road clearance, municipal works or public utilities.
    • Wrecked or dismantled vehicles including vehicles that are inoperative or unregistered.
    • Storage or accumulation of garbage, litter refuse, dilapidated furniture or appliances, machinery parts or similar items.
    • Specific or general lack of repair or maintenance of the property that includes buildings in ruinous or dilapidated states of repair and/or unoccupied and are imminent danger to public safety.
    • Open excavations dangerous to the public safety and health.
    • Permitting graffiti to remain on any building, accessory building, fence or any other structure.

    Pursuant to this Bylaw and The Cities Act, should Bylaw Enforcement Community Safety Officers inspect and find conditions that warrant remedies, written Orders requiring the property owner to remedy the contravention(s) are served, predominately via registered mail.  Orders specify what remedies are required in a specified time period.  Upon receipt of the Order, property owners have 15 days from the date of the Order in which they may appeal to City Council or the appeal board as may be appointed by Council.

    In cases of buildings that are in ruinous or dilapidated states of repair and/or unoccupied and are imminent danger to public safety, demolition may be ordered.

    In the event of non-compliance, property owners are liable for prosecution and could face fines as high as $10,000.00 for individuals, and $25,000.00 in the case of a corporation.  In cases of continuing offences, fines as high as $2,500.00 for each day during which the offence continues.  Additionally, the City may cause the property to be cleaned up and bill the owner for the costs of the clean up which may be added to Tax Roll.

    Further information about the Property Amenities Bylaw may be obtained by calling the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit office at 953-4906.

  • Housing Standards Enforcement

    Housing not meeting legislative standards has been a top priority of the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit since its inception as it is today.  In concert with the creation of the Bylaw Unit under the auspices of the Police Service, was the creation of the Housing Standards Enforcement Team.  

    When negative social, psychological, and environmental factors converge, a housing environment emerges that fosters significant social disorder and crime.  Many houses become focal points of criminal activity, drug abuse and trafficking, gang activity, and prostitution, to which police and other service responders respond repeatedly.

    Ensuring adequate, stable housing through an integrated, coordinated approach has proven significant in reducing crime and enhancing quality of life and safety for individuals and our community.

    The Housing Standards Enforcement Team is comprised of:

    • Police - regular members of the service providing for safety, procedure/resources.
    • Bylaw - Special Constables - overall file management.
    • Building Inspectors - Inspection relevant to The Property Maintenance, Bylaw, No. 10 of 2017.
    • Fire Inspectors - Inspection relevant to the Fire Code.
    • Health Inspectors - Inspection relevant to The Public Health Act.
    • Resources to the Inspection Team - Safer Communities Investigation Unit, Social Services

    Note: For more information on the Safer Communities and Neighborhoods Investigation Unit, (SCAN), go to:

    Through the integrated approach, the Team now inspects a premise with an assortment of regulatory legislation in addition to City Bylaws, such as:

    • The Public Health Act
    • The Cities Act
    • The Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act
    • The National Building Code
    • The National Fire Code
    • The Safer Communities and Neighborhoods Act

    Housing in neighborhoods suspected of being focal points for Drugs, Prostitution, Gang activity, Child Exploitation, the fortification of buildings causing public safety concerns, or the unlawful sale and use of beverage alcohol are within the domain of the Safer Communities and Neighborhoods Investigation Unit.  Often, Housing of municipal concern has a commonality with this unlawful activity and the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit has evolved as the pivotal liaise between the Safer Communities Investigation Unit and the Police Service.  Housing units, whether rented or owner occupied, identified by the Safer Communities Investigation Unit as focal points of criminal activity are subject to 90 day Community Safety Orders and the immediate eviction of residents there in.


    The Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit, in concert with the City's Building Inspectors, facilitates inspections and Orders relevant to Bylaw No. 10 of 2017, The Property Maintenance Bylaw.  Dependant on the nature and scope of contraventions respecting the subject property will determine the level of response relative to inspection - broader issues will draw the response of the Housing Standards Enforcement Team, which in many instances, will lead to multiple Orders from the respective agencies.

    Subject properties inspected by the Bylaw Enforcement Unit and the Housing Standards Enforcement Team come from a variety of sources.  Many are from tenants that are unhappy with the conditions of their rental units and are not getting any satisfaction from their landlords.  Often unsightly properties that are subject to inspection under the Property Amenities Bylaw, lead to issues of Maintenance and Occupancy with the dwelling unit itself.  The Police through their day to day response to calls will pass on housing issues to the Bylaw Unit, as will a variety of service providers, and the general public.  Houses within neighborhoods that are of concern to area residents as focal points of crime will also activate both the interests of the Housing Standards Enforcement Team as well as the Safer Communities Investigation Unit.  Often where this type of activity is being carried out there are collateral issues relative to Maintenance and Occupancy, Fire, and Health.

    Landlords are legally responsible for keeping their rental properties safe and sound.  Whether you have decided to rent a home, apartment or any other type of dwelling unit, or are already renting, you are entitled to live in a safe and sound environment.  This is a legal right.  The City of Prince Albert The Property Maintenance Bylaw states that all properties must meet certain standards.  Every part of a building or property shall be kept in a well-maintained, structurally sound condition.  These standards apply to the inside and outside of a house, apartment or any other type of dwelling unit.  Blistering paint, broken or cracked windows, collapsing steps, missing or damaged eave troughs, collapsing basements, faulty furnaces, broken plumbing ... these are a few examples of things that renters don't have to live with.  In the event you've reported deficiencies to your landlord and your landlord is not maintaining your unit, you can report it through the police non-emergency line @ 953-4222 ext 2 and Bylaw Community Safety Officers will arrange for a site inspection with City Building Inspectors.  You have the right to provide access to the dwelling unit to Bylaw Enforcement and Building Inspectors.  You do not need the permission of the landlord.

    This is what happens when you call to report a problem :

    1. After a complaint is received about a dwelling unit that may be substandard, Bylaw Enforcement Community Safety Officers will investigate to determine the nature and scope of contraventions and arrange for a site inspection engaging Building Inspectors or the entire Housing Standards Enforcement Team.
    2. Following the site inspection, contraventions identified will be articulated in the form of an Order, "Notice of Non-compliance" with the appropriate "Corrections Required" which in most cases is served on the property owner via registered mail, served personally, or some circumstances posted on the property itself.  The Order will specify a specific date to complete the necessary repairs.  The amount of time given in the Order to do the repairs will vary depending on the number and types of repairs and the time of year in which the repairs are to be completed.In many cases, dependant on the severity of the dwelling unit's condition, companion Orders will be issued from Health and/or Fire and are incorporated into the investigational file of the Bylaw Community Safety Officer.  In many cases, these Orders will have similar dates for completion of the required corrections.Inspections revealing severe issues relative to health provisions, such as severe lack of repair, filth, or lack of plumbing can lead to a Plac-card Order as "Unfit for Human Occupation" and the immediate removal of tenants.
    3. Property owners receiving Orders issued relative to Municipal Bylaw have the opportunity to appeal the Order within 15 days of the date of the Order.  The appeal is to City Council or the appeal board as may be appointed by Council.  Council may confirm, modify or repeal the Order.  There is separate appeal process for Orders issued pursuant to The Public Health Act.
    4. Upon re-inspection, if repairs are not completed within the time frame as specified in the Order(s), dependant on the circumstances, and provided the owner is working cooperatively and progressively at completing the repairs, further time may be extended at the discretion of the Building, Health, or Fire Inspectors.  In most cases, compliance is met and the file is closed upon Inspectors of the relative Orders signing off on the corrections required.  Where it is clear little or no effort is being undertaken to correct the contraventions, the file will be moved forward to prosecution by the investigating Bylaw Community Safety Officer.In extreme cases, where the required repairs exceed the value of the property, (dependant on the circumstances), the property owner may choose demolition; the City may issue an additional Order for demolition; or the City may put the property to Work Order and tender out the demolition with the costs added to tax roll.
    5. Should prosecution proceedings result in a Court Order, the investigating Bylaw Community Safety Officer will arrange for a re-inspection with the relative inspectors to ensure compliance.  Property owners convicted of offences under the property Maintenance Bylaw may face fines as high as $10,000.00 for individuals, and $25,000.00 in the case of a corporation.  In cases of continuing offences, fines as high as $2,500.00 for each day during which the offence continues.

    The following Flow Chart tracks the process


    Further information about housing inspections may be obtained by calling the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit office at 953-4906.

  • Traffic ByLaw/Streets

    Bylaw of 2013, The Traffic Bylaw, is enforced by regular members of the Police Service and predominately by Special Constables within the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit.  Streets and traffic related issues consume approximately 30% of the investigational time of Bylaw Community Safety Officers.  Parking, with the exception of metered parking in the downtown core, is enforced city-wide by Bylaw Community Safety Officers.

    Citizens should be aware of the commonly investigated violations that invoke enforcement action


    • Parking of vehicles with gross vehicle weight in excess of 7,500 kilograms or a length greater than eight (8) meters on residential streets.  This would typically translate to dual wheeled trucks one ton and greater, large motor homes, and school buses as examples.
    • Parking in an alley; within 1.5 meters of a fire hydrant; on any city boulevard; in any manner that blocks access too, or within two meters, of a sidewalk crossing to a private road or driveway, except with the consent of the owner of the private road or driveway.
    • Parking on any street without displaying a valid license plate or permit.  On-street parking without insurance will automatically invoke seizure.
    • Parking of trailers on any street without tow vehicle attached.
    • Parking on any street for a period of more than 48 consecutive hours.  Vehicles remaining in violation will invoke seizure.
    • Parking on any street - left side to curb
    • Riding of skateboards, scooters, or bicycles on sidewalks or other public places within the downtown core as described in Schedule 24 of the bylaw.
    • On street vehicle repair - unless emergent
    • Depositing snow and/or ice onto a city street or sidewalk
    • Parking on designated snow routes while declaration in effect
    • Operation of a vehicle, including any trailer, at the landfill site or in transient to the landfill site with waste not covered as to prevent debris falling out of vehicle.


    Citizens should also be aware of Bylaw No. 11 of 2007, The Prohibition of Motor Vehicles in Public Places Bylaw, making it an offence to ride an ATV or snowmobile anywhere within the corporate limits of The City of Prince Albert.  This includes areas north of the river in Nordale, the Little Red River Park, and those areas along highway No. 55 East to the Domtar site.  This Bylaw also makes it an offence for any motor vehicle to be operated on the Rotary Trail with the exception of law enforcement, ambulances, or public service vehicles.   Violators are liable for $150.00 fine and the Bylaw provides for seizure of the vehicle being operated at the officer's discretion.


    Further information about the Traffic Bylaw and Streets issues can be obtained by calling the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit office at 953-4906.

  • False Alarm Monitoring

    Bylaw No. 39 of 2004, The False Alarm Bylaw, was implemented September 20, 2004 to ensure effective use of police resources and reduce demand in responding to false alarms.  The following is a Users Guide respecting the Bylaw:


    • Valid Alarm
      The activation of a security system caused by unauthorized entry into any building/property or caused by any other emergency situation in any building/property.
    • False Alarm
      The activation of a security system when there is no unauthorized entry into any building/property or other emergency situation in any building/property.
    • Keyholder
      Person designated by the user to attend at the scene of an alarm who will give police access to the premises.

    User Responsibilities

    Open communication with your security business is encouraged.  All needs and responsibilities should be addressed by them.  The Police are a response option to your alarm.  Other options may be suggested by your security company.

    Security system users are responsible for their alarm activity.

    Security system users must register their information with the monitoring business to become part of the Alarm program.  They must ensure that an up-to-date list of keyholders is supplied to the company.

    Security system users will be charged an annual fee by the monitoring business to obtain an Alarm System Identification Number (ASIN), which is registered with the Prince Albert Police Service.  Monitoring businesses are charged an annual fee of $25.00 per registered premise by the Police Service.

    Keyholders have a responsibility to attend at the scene when requested to do so by the monitoring business (and their response to a call must be as soon as the call is received.)

    The keyholder must assist responding officers in determining the origin of an alarm signal from the system and its cause, when possible.

    Security system users who have two false alarms in a 365-day rolling period will have their next alarm call processed through the 1-900 telephone alarm service.

    Calls made on the 1-900 telephone service will be charged a per call fee of $100.00.  The security business will be charged by the telephone service.

    Insecurity Alarm Response

    The Prince Albert Police Service will respond to any alarm within the City of Prince Albert that has been registered with them and assigned an Alarm System Identification Number (ASIN) by the Police Service.

    The Prince Albert Police Service will not respond to any alarm from an unregistered security system unless the call is processed through the 1-900 telephone alarm service.  The monitoring business will be charged a $100.00 fee per call.

    If a registered security system user has had two false alarms within a rolling 365-day period the monitoring company must use the 1-900 number for service.  If the monitoring business refuses to use the 1-900 number, the Police Service will not process the alarm for response.  Please contact your monitoring business for alternate responses to your alarm.

    The Prince Albert Police Service will not respond to alarms that have been communicated to them by an automatic dialing device, pre-recorded message, or any alarms not monitored by an alarm business.


    Police Attendance

    All alarms reported by monitoring businesses will be considered urgent and receive prompt response unless circumstances indicated otherwise.

    Officers will be dispatched to monitored alarm calls on a priority basis.

    Upon arrival, officers will check the premises to determine the validity of the alarm and ensure the security of the property.

    When checks reveal the premises appear secure, officers will wait a reasonable amount of time, circumstances permitting, for a keyholder to arrive.

    With an apparent secure premises, circumstances and/or call load may dictate that the officers may not be able to wait for a keyholder.

    When the officers have cleared an apparent secure premises they will not be re-dispatched upon keyholder arrival, unless signs of criminal activity exists.


    False Alarm Elimination

    Ensure all persons who are authorized to use the security system are properly trained.  This should include third party users, such as subcontractors, maintenance staff, etc.

    Have an interior audible device installed on the property to indicate that an alarm has been activated.

    When the interior alarm activates and you wish to cancel the alarm, phone your monitoring business.  Remember that the telephone lines are often used to process your alarm and the line may be "in use" for a moment.  If you attempt to call your monitoring company and cannot, wait a few minutes and try again after the alarm has cleared the telephone line.

    Ensure the security system is in proper working order by providing regular preventative maintenance.

    False alarms may be caused by:

    • Faulty application of the security system.
    • Movement of items such as balloons and banners due to blowing air from fans or air conditioners.
    • Pets moving in area monitored by a motion alarm.

    Ensure that all users are educated on the proper procedures if they inadvertently set off the security system so the monitoring business may terminate the incident before the police become involved.

    Frequently Asked Questions


    Q.     What are the fees used for?


    A.    The $25.00 annual permit provides for a valid ASIN, (Alarm System Identification number), that is managed by software by the Police Service.  Not unlike other fees for service, such as criminal record checks for example, the fee is collected to provide for some cost recovery to the Service in the administration of the Alarm Program.  The 1-900 line provides the Service with some cost recovery in unnecessarily attending to false alarms and provides alarm companies with incentive to maintain their systems and provide for training of system users.

    Q.    Who sets the fee schedule?


    A.      The Bylaw, Bylaw No. 39 of 2004, sets the fee schedule based on "industry standard" of similar Bylaws within the province and Canada wide.  The Bylaws in Regina, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and North Battleford have similar fee schedules.


    Q.  Does the Police Service Respond to Alarms that are not registered?


    A.    Yes, the Police Service will respond to all alarms communicated through an alarm monitoring station.  The method of generating the response is dependant on whether the premise the police are responding too has a "valid" ASIN.  If the premise is not registered, or has an "invalid" ASIN, (i.e. there has been more than two attendances from police within the past 365 rolling days), the police response is generated through the 1-900 line with a $100.00 fee associated to the response.  Should premise owners choose not to register, they are encouraged to discuss alternative responses to their alarm other than the police with their alarm company.


    Q.  What about Fire Alarms - Hold-up Alarms?


    A.     Fire and Hold-up alarms are not part of the program and not required to register.  The alarm program is strictly for business/residential intrusion alarms to properties monitored by alarm monitoring stations.  The Police Service and Fire Control Center have existing protocol in place for dealing with Fire and Hold-up alarms.


    Q.  If I reside outside the City of Prince Albert, do I have to register?


    A.    No, the Alarm Program is applicable to only those properties within the corporate limits of the City of Prince Albert.

    Q.  As a property owner with an alarmed premise, do I pay my annual registration fee directly to the Police Service?


    A.    No, you deal with your alarm company who will handle your registration requirements.  The Police Service business relationship is with the Alarm Monitoring companies, not the system users.


    "The Prince Albert Police Service recognizes the intent of security systems and will provide immediate response to alarm calls when a crime or emergency exists"



  • ByLaw FAQ

    1. Are Fire Pits permissible in the City?"Yes, you will find the provisions for fire pits in Bylaw No. 22 of 2008, The Fire and Emergency Services Bylaw. Provided your fire pit is constructed of acceptable materials and is located in a safe location away from your house or combustible materials they are permissible. Only seasoned cut fire wood is permissible, the burning of rubbish, garden materials and other such materials is prohibited."
    2. Are there designated snowmobile routes in the City?"No, snowmobiles and ATV's are prohibited anywhere within the Corporate limits of the City. There had been a designated snowmobile route along the south-east perimeter of the City which was in operation from 1996 through 2005. This route no longer exists. Bylaw No. 11 of 2007, The Prohibition of Motor Vehicles in Public Places Bylaw, prohibits their operation within the City. Those found in violation are subject to a $150.00 fine and the seizure of the vehicle being operated."
    3. Is panhandling in the City legal?"Yes, it is legal throughout Canada provided it is "passive" in nature. When it becomes coercive, intimidating, threatening, or obstructive in nature, it becomes an offence. Bylaw No. 8 of 2007, The Obstructive Solicitation Bylaw, prohibits panhandling that exceeds the threshold of "passive".  Police and Bylaw Community Safety Officers may issue a fine of $150.00, which in most cases would result in the fine option program."
    4.  What is the law in the City respecting fighting?"Fighting is defined as a "Disturbance" in the Criminal Code of Canada and the police will arrest those they find actively engaged in this activity. In cases of consensual fighting in public places in the City, not only are those involved liable for the criminal consequences, they will be subject to a $580.00 fine pursuant to the provisions of Bylaw No. 6 of 2007, The Fighting Bylaw."
    5. What is the law in the City when someone spits or urinates publicly?"Spitting, urinating, or defecating publicly within the City is an offence pursuit to Bylaw No. 7 of 2007, The Public Spitting, Urination and Defecation Prohibition Bylaw, or commonly referred to as "The Bodily Fluids Bylaw". Those found in violation are subject to a $150.00 fine and are often arrested for public intoxication."
    6.  When is the Noise Bylaw in effect?"24 hours per day - citizens are not to permit or cause any noise that unreasonably disturbs the quiet, peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort or convenience of persons in the neighborhood or vicinity. This includes dogs barking or cats caterwauling. The operation of lawn mowers, leaf blowers, snow blowers and similar devises are prohibited between the hours of 11:00 PM and 7:00 AM, as are construction noises. Diesel motors within residential districts are restricted to 20 minutes of idling. City Works operations are exempted from the Bylaw.   Pursuant to Bylaw No. 18 of 2016, The Noise Bylaw, those found in violation are subject to a Summary Offence Ticket in the amount of $360.00 or, dependant on the circumstances, may be fined as much as $2,000.00 if convicted by a Provincial Court Judge."
    7. What is the law respecting Graffiti in the City?"Graffiti is spoken to in the Property Amenities Bylaw, Bylaw No. 18 of 2016. Property owners are not to permit graffiti to remain on any building, accessory building, fence or any other structure. Bylaw Community Safety Officers may cite property owners to have the Graffiti removed pursuant to this Bylaw, however, citizens that have the unfortunate experience of discovering graffiti on their property are victims of a criminal offence and certainly would never be prosecuted for non-compliance. We encourage citizens to remove the graffiti as soon as practical as studies suggest if it is removed with 24 hours there is a 10% chance of reoccurrence as apposed to two weeks where there is 100% chance of reoccurrence. We work cooperatively with citizens in the removal of graffiti and citizens may get assistance with this through the Community Services Department @ 953-4800."
    8. Who do I call if I discover a skunk on my property?"A pest control contractor. Bylaw Community Safety Officers deal strictly with domestic animals within the City. Wildlife, such as coyotes, bears, birds of prey, upland game birds and federally protected migratory birds fall under the domain of the Environment Ministry @ 953-2322 or after hours @ 1-800-667-7561. Skunks, badgers, porcupines, raccoons, beavers, muskrats, bees, hornets, rats, gophers, mice, rabbits, snakes, shrews, bats, crows, magpies, pigeons and injured animals and birds fall under the domain of a pest control contractor. Dead animals and birds can simply be disposed of or picked up by City Works should they be lying on City streets. Crows and Magpies are no longer tested for West Nile Virus. Animal Welfare concerns can be directed to the SPCA @ 763-6110."
    9. What is the law respecting littering in the City?"Provincial legislation, The Environmental Management & Protection Act, governs littering within the City and those found in violation are liable for a fine through the issuance of a Summary Offence ticket by police or Bylaw Community Safety Officers as high as $1,400.00. Dependant on the circumstance of the offence, those convicted will receive a fine from a Provincial Court Judge of not less the $200.00. The accumulation of litter on private properties is spoken to in the Property Amenities Bylaw, Bylaw No. Bylaw No. 18 of 2016.   Controlling litter within the City is really about community pride and ownership and we encourage all citizens to do their part in keeping our City clean."
    10. What can I do about my neighbor's dog … cat … noise from partying at late hours … leaving waste disposal bins out on the street … shoveling snow onto the City street … unsightly yard, etc?"The first question you'll be asked from a Bylaw Community Safety Officer is: Have you spoken with your neighbor regarding the issue? We encourage all citizens to first and foremost speak with their neighbors and develop good rapport which pays obvious dividends on what in many cases is years of living in the same residential area. Often times, invoking the police or Bylaw Community Safety Officers to deal with minor neighborhood issues will create more difficulties on the long term than it resolves. Many of these issues are often resolved amongst neighboring citizens through effective communication and diplomacy. The unfortunate effect in many cases when the police or Bylaw Community Safety Officers are the first response to the issue, prior to making attempts to deal with the issues amongst neighbors, is the animosity it can create between neighbors that may last indefinitely until somebody moves. We respect citizen requests to remain anonymous; unfortunately many neighborhood issues reported for investigation will reveal the identity of the complainant through those citizens being complained about determining this through the obvious process of elimination.  Having said that, we realize these situations are not always resolved through diplomacy and we are at your service to assist. Our approach will be a warning in regards to animal license's, noise bylaw, waste disposal bins and shoveling snow onto the City streets or sidewalks.  If there is a dog/cat at large, warnings are not provided as citizens of Prince Albert should have all animals on a leash if the animal is off their private property.   Often times if the occupant of the residence where the issue exists is not home to be immediately spoken with, a door hanger will be left by Bylaw Enforcement Community Safety Officers advising of our attendance and what Bylaw infraction is alleged to exist. The occupant may be asked to rectify the situation by a specific time and date and will be asked to call Bylaw Enforcement should any further information be required. Should warning not resolve the issue, prosecution is the next step.   In many circumstances, this will involve obtaining a statement from you respecting dates and times of occurrences and their effect which may ultimately require your appearance in court to testify."
    11. What are the rules respecting Garage Sales and signage?"Rules respecting Garage/Yard Sales are found in the Zoning Bylaw, Bylaw No. 1 of 2019. The general rules are as follows:
      • Sale must be conducted by the resident of the dwelling in a Residential or Institutional zone, or
      • A non-profit group associated with a place of worship, public school, community association or similar group or organization.
      • No more than three (3) sales may be conducted on any site in any one calendar year and no sale may last more than three (3) consecutive days.
      • Signs respecting garage/yard sales may not be placed or posted on public property, public highways, or any building, equipment, or utility structure within public property unless authorized by Council. This includes boulevards, curb-side trees, street light standards, public signage, public mail boxes, and intersections.

      The Bylaw Enforcement Unit continues to receive an abundance of complaints respecting garage/yard sale signage during the spring and summer months. Citizens can anticipate prosecution of repeat offenders."

    12. What are the rules in the City respecting election signage?"During election periods, Municipal, Provincial or Federal, and subject to the provisions of any Provincial or Federal Statute, order or regulation, election signage within the City is governed by the Zoning Bylaw, Bylaw No. 1 of 1987. Key points as follows:
      • Maximum Size - 3.2 square meters, (commonly gauged as slightly larger than a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood).
      • No sign permit is required for election signs.
      • All signs must be removed within seven (7) days after the election.
      • Signs shall not be placed on a corner site within the "corner visibility triangle" (located away from intersections or boulevard crossings to protect from blocking the view for drivers).
      • Signs shall be built of quality construction.
      • The owners of signs assume full responsibility for the maintenance, liability, claims, actions, loss, damages, judgments, costs and expenses which may accrue or be suffered by any person by reason of, or arising out of, the erection, installation, suspension or alteration and maintenance and use of the signs.
      • The sign shall have the words "Authorized by" affixed.
      • Election signs can be placed on public property provided they do not in any way impede, impair, disrupt, or disturb traffic, both pedestrian and/or vehicular. The sign(s) may not in its placement cause any manner of visual impairment or obstruction that may be considered a safety hazard or contribution of Urban Blight.
      • Signs found to be in violation are subject to seizure by the City and held for a 10-day period wherein the owner may attend City Hall for its return. After 10 days the sign will be destroyed.
      • The City recognizes that individual property owners are deemed responsible for the care of City owned boulevards immediately abutting their property. The City entrusts the property owner to remove any election signage from the portion of boulevard abutting the frontage of their property.

      For further information please contact The City of Prince Albert Economic Development and Planning Department @ 953-4370.

    13.  What are the rules respecting Snow Routes within the City?"Citizens should familiarize themselves with the City's snow route signage as identified in the Traffic Bylaw, Bylaw of 2013, @ Schedule 83(d). In an effort to expedite the opening of the City's arterial streets for the mobility of the general public and emergency service providers after significant snow events, the City introduced snow routes in 2008 to our citizens on a voluntary compliance basis. Key points as follows:
      • The Director of Public Works will declare snow routes in effect after major snow events. The declaration will be issued through media release. Once declared, snow routes will remain in effect for seventy-two (72) hours unless sooner terminated or extended by further declaration.
      • During periods of declaration, person(s) shall not park or stop a vehicle, or permit a vehicle to be parked or stopped on any street or portion of any street identified as a snow route in Schedule 74. Citizens can view Schedule 74 by clicking on the Municipal Bylaw link where it is located within the Traffic Bylaw.

      Those found in violation are subject to prosecution and/or vehicle seizure."

    14. What are the rules respecting the City's roll-out recycle and waste collection bins?"The City's Waste Collection and Disposal Bylaw, Bylaw No. 40 of 2015, governs the use of these bins. The following are key points of non-compliance commonly investigated by Bylaw Officers:
      • The depositing of wastes or recyclables originating from outside an automated collection area.
      • Person(s) other than owners or occupants depositing wastes or recyclables into these containers.
      • Keeping the container on the property until after 6:00 PM the day preceding collection day.
      • Non-compliance to: Before 7:30 AM on collection days, place the container at the curb adjoining the property.
      • Non-compliance to: Prior to 6:00 PM of the day following collection day, remove the container and uncollected waste from the curb and store them on the property.

      We remind citizens to be respectful of the Bylaw governing the use of these bins thereby reducing the number of complaints of non-compliance affording Bylaw Community Safety Officers to spend more time on priority issues. Any person who contravenes the Bylaw is liable to a fine:  first offence of $150.00, second offence $260.00.  Repeat offenders may face prosecution. For further information respecting waste and recyclable collection, please contact the Department of Public Works @ 953-4900.




    Further information respecting Bylaw issues within the City can be obtained by calling the Municipal Bylaw Enforcement Unit office at 953-4906.

  • Municipal ByLaws


    For a listing of all the Municipal ByLaws, please click here to visit City of Prince Albert ByLaws page.

  • Canine Unit

    The ability of the police service dog (P.S.D.) makes them ideal partners in many areas. The ability of the dogs to follow human scent gives them the ability to follow and locate a suspect. The dogs can also locate evidence, which may be related to a crime. The dogs are used to search and clear buildings where alarms have been received and it is suspected someone has illegally entered. During training the teams (dogs and handlers) learn to become proficient in the areas of tracking, criminal apprehension, seraching, obedience, and agility. The primary role of the Canine Unit is to provide support to the Patrol Officers. The teams respond to any or all crimes in progress where the suspects are fleeing on foot or possibly hidden away. Presently, the Prince Albert Polcie Service has two handler/dog teams: Cst. Bighetty and PSD Daxa and Cst. Chow and PSD Blue.

    PSD Daxa
    Born : August 8, 2011
    Breed : German Shepherd
    From : Alberta
    Training : General Duties
    Handler : Cst. Bighetty

    PSD Febee
    Born :
    Breed :
    From :
    Training : General Duties
    Handler : Cst. Chow

  • Central Records

    The Central Records Division is comprised of 11 Police Records Management Controllers.

    Records staff process charge Information and produce a court package for our Crown Prosecutor.  Court documents are entered into our Canadian Police Information Center terminal.  The Canadian Police Information Center (CPIC) is a complex computer network that police members across the country can access.

    Records staff are also responsible for maintaining details on warrants, court documents, missing persons, stolen vehicles, and other items of stolen or lost property.  This information is critical to the front line officer in assisting with their investigation as well as for officer safety.  

    For further information refer to this PDF

  • Communication Centre

    The Communication Centre is comprised of civilian employees under the general supervision of the Platoon NCO and the Office Manager. The Communications Operator is responsible for the operations of a computer terminal and emergency response system console. The position of Communications Operator includes both call taking and radio dispatch. The Communication Operator is responsible for the deployment and radio support of Police units.

  • C.I.D.

    The Criminal Investigation Division is made up of what is normally thought of as "detectives" or "plainclothes" officers. It is divided into many different specialized sections that require specific training and experience, such as the Child Abuse section and the Major Crimes unit.

    The officers receive training in their respective fields through the Provincial Police College, the Canadian Police College in Ottawa and various other agencies and groups. The training includes general investigative skills such as proper interview techniques, as well as specific investigative skills, such as fire scene examinations.

    The section also encompasses the officers assigned to take photos and look for crime scene evidence such as D.N.A. or fingerprints. These officers are highly trained specialists and will often testify as experts in court. The "Identification Section" works with detectives and uniformed officers to gather evidence and prepare a case.

    The drug section in Prince Albert is called the Integrated Street Enforcement Team (ISET). Several of our members work with members from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in a joint task force specifically dealing with drugs. The shared resources and manpower of our two agencies has created a very successful team.

  • Identification Division

    The members expertise is in the field of Ridgeology (fingerprints), photograph theory and techniques as they apply to police photography and in the gathering, examination, preservation and presentation of evidence.

    Officers in the identification division specialize in the following areas :

    Identification of friction ridges
    Different methods and chemicals used in fingerprint development
    Digital imaging
    crime scene photography
    Physical matching
    Footwear comparison
    Preserving and protecting crime scenes and evidence
    Searching for evidence
    Recording and collecting evidence

    Philosophy of friction ridge identification states that "Friction ridge identification is established through the agreement of friction ridge formations, in sequence, having sufficient uniqueness to individualize".

  • Patrol
    The Patrol Division of the Prince Albert Police Service responds to approximately 36,000 calls for service annually. The core function of patrol is to respond to public service requests, collection of data and preservation of evidence. Patrol is also responsible for the enforcement of criminal and traffic laws, the apprehension and prosecution of violators, the investigation of criminal and other offenses and other matters that work towards the protection of life and property, the preservation of peace and the prevention of crime.

    There are four platoons that work on a shift rotation to provide 24 hour coverage of the city. They are identified as A, B, C, and D platoons. Each platoon has a Staff Sergeant and Sergeant as NCO's in charge of constables that respond to calls for service.

    The City of Prince Albert is divided into 5 zones, or areas, denoted as the Downtown area, West Hill, East Hill, West Flat, and East Flat; these areas are divided by the natural boundaries and arteries. Patrol cars assigned to these areas respond to the calls for service.

  • S.W.A.T.

    Created in 2002, the Prince Albert Police Service Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team is made up of twelve officers that are on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The SWAT team members also maintain other duties within the police service. The SWAT team will respond to situations which require equipment and trained tactics that exceed patrols capabilities. Each member must meet strict requirements and has gone through a rigorous selection process prior to joining the team. The team trains monthly to ensure a successful resolution to a variety of high risk critical incidents.

  • Traffic Division


    The Prince Albert Police Service Traffic Unit is committed to ensuring the safety of all Prince Albert residents and visitors to our city who share our roads, sidewalks, and bike trails. In addition to enforcement activity, the Traffic Unit also encompasses collision and hit and run investigations.

    Our enforcement team uses selective techniques, as well as targeted traffic projects, and a variety of educational campaigns in order to maximize compliance with provincial and municipal driving legislation. Police officers are highly trained in the use of Radar and Laser speed detection technology, and are equipped with the latest tools of the trade to effectively perform their duties.

    Prince Albert Police Traffic officers regularly team up with outside agencies such as the Saskatchewan Highway Transport Patrol, Vehicle Equipment Compliance inspectors, RCMP and other municipal police services for the purpose of safety campaigns.  Operation Overdrive Sobriety Checkpoints and child seat safety clinics are but a few examples of this collaborative effort geared towards the creation of a safe roadway network.

Victim Services

  • Victim Services

    Who are we?

    We are caring members of our community who have volunteered our time to receive extensive training and invest themselves working towards a better, more caring community. We support our local Police Service and care deeply about the victims of crime and other traumatic events in our community. We are here to help.

    Have you been a victim of crime?

    Here is a printable version of the forms that are exclusively for victims of crime and their family.

    Do you Know the Signs of Strangulation?
    Family and domestic violence can include strangulation. It's important to know the signs and document them. The form above can be used as a guide to document signs of strangulation.

      What do we do?

      • Provide Information
      • Advocacy and Support
      • Referrals
      • Assistance

      We Provide Information On:

      • Police & court procedures
      • Case specifics
      • Court dates, procedures & dispositions
      • The criminal justice system
      • The rights of the victim
      • Services available to the victim
      • Crime prevention

      Advocacy and Support

      • Provide a liaison to enhance communication with the police
      • Support at the time of court
      • Assisting in the prompt return of property to victims
      • Provide court preparation and support


      • Advise the victims of available resources
      • Referral to appropriate resources and helping access these services


      • Accessing the criminal justice system
      • Applying for Peace Bonds and legal assistance
      • Applying for Victims Compensation & Victims Restitution
      • With filling out Victim Impact Statements

      Volunteer Qualifications

      • 18 years of age or older
      • Ability to work with all kinds of people
      • Sign a one year contract committing to a minimum of 4 hours per week
      • Pass a police security clearance and sign an oath of secrecy
      • Complete an initial training program
      • Have a genuine interest in helping victims of crime and other traumatic events in the City of Prince Albert

      Contact Victim Services at 953-4357(HELP) for more information.

      Provincial Contact:  Ministry of Justice & Attorney General (306) 787-3500

  • Indigenous Resource Officer

    The Indigenous Resource Officer works with victims of domestic violence and other traumatic events. The referrals are made through Victim Services, Police Officers or self-referred. The Indigenous Resource Officer also works with Police Officers in the areas of Indigenous Protocol, Cross Culture Training and any extra help that may be needed by the victims or police officers. The Indigenous Resource Office is open from 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. To make an appointment please call 953-4259. Appointments can also be arranged through Victim Services at 953-4357 or the police line at 953-4222.

  • Missing Person Liaison

    Missing Persons Liaisons provide direct support to families of missing persons by offering support through listening, critical thinking, priority management, supporting hope, and the Family Toolkit.  They also provide information about the police investigation, Search and Rescue, Missing Person Legislation, and specialized counseling for Ambiguous Loss.  They will send referrals to appropriate agencies such as Financial Aid, counseling, issues regarding childcare/respite, and estate issues.  Missing Persons Liaisons provide consultation to all police-based Victim Services Units within Saskatchewan.  This makes support services available to all families of missing persons in Saskatchewan.

  • Media Relations

    Media Relations

    Any media inquiries or requests for interviews must be made through the Media Relations Office by contacting Media Liaison Charlene Tebbutt at the contact information below:
    Prince Albert Police Service
    (306) 930-7063
    [email protected] 
    The Media Relations office will then return media inquiries and direct media interviews for all departments, including for administration and the Chief of Police. If the Media Relations Office is unavailable a secondary media contact can be made through the Community Relations Office at the following information: Sgt. Troy Dumont
    Prince Albert Police Service
    (306) 960-1286
    [email protected]
  • Community Relations
    The Prince Albert Police Service Community Relations Office is occupied by one Sergeant. Presently, Sgt. Troy Dumont is in Community Relations and works closely with all the schools in Prince Albert as well as community organizations. Sgt. Dumont attends community events representing the police service and presents educational talks to schools and community groups. Sgt. Dumont does numerous presentations to schools and speaks to students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 on a variety of topics to build relationships between youth and the police service. To request an officer to attend your school or community event contact: Sgt. Troy Dumont P: 306-960-1286 E: [email protected]
  • Community Policing Unit
    The Prince Albert Police Service initiated a new Community Policing Unit in September 2019. This new unit is responsible for high-visibility community engagement. Cst. Derek Simonson and Cst. Ron Meyers are assigned to the Community Policing Unit and patrol on foot and bikes across the community, including in the downtown area, the Rotary Trail, and the Cornerstone and South Hill shopping districts. The mandate of the new Community Policing Unit is to build relationships through positive interactions with residents and the business community with the shared goal of reducing crime and illegal activity. The officers' role will include attending community events, engaging with the public throughout the community, and representing the police service at school and other local functions. For more details about the Community Policing Unit, please contact Sgt. Troy Dumont at [email protected], or 306-960-1286