Criminal Investigation Division – Constable Lisa Simonson.
- How long you have been at the Police Service. What Unit do you work for and your job title?
I have been with the PAPS for 7 years, and policing for a total of 18 years.
I am a Constable in our Criminal Investigation Division.
- Can you provide a general description of your week-to-week duties?
I am a Major Crime investigator and investigate the most serious criminal offences.
- What training/education did you take for the job?
I studied Science at the University of Alberta and have a Diploma in Policing and Security, Policing Major, from Grant MacEwan University.
- Why did you decide to join the police service?
I originally had an interest in Forensic Sciences to work as a civilian within the forensic labs, but I had an opportunity to be exposed to the investigative side of policing and have never looked back.
- What's the most enjoyable/rewarding part of your career?
Working for the victims of crime, seeing your work assist in the conviction of an accused, working with a great team of people and building life-long friendships have been both rewarding and enjoyable. At the end of the day, it’s the people you work with that make working in a stressful and demanding career, that much easier.
- Any advice for women who may encounter sexism or work in a male dominated workplace?
Be professional. Let a strong work ethic and the quality of your work speak for itself, it will be recognized. Be confident in yourself and your abilities. Working in a male dominated workplace can be challenging at times, however, I have been very fortunate to be part of some great shifts/squads and investigative teams throughout my career with both men and women.
- Who were your heroes or role models growing up?
My Baba (Grandmother) and Mother. Both of whom share the same qualities of being supporting, hard working, dedicated to their families and having a kind heart.
- What are some things you wish you could tell the younger version of yourself?
Don’t be so hard on yourself.
- Do you have any message you would like to say for young girls out there?
To my daughter, and to all the other young girls out there, be confident in yourself, work hard at everything you do, have high integrity, choose a career that you love waking up for everyday and make lasting friendships.